Whizbang Weekend

Posted in: 


The weekend started off pleasantly, with dinner with a friend (from university) who's down here visiting for a week and a half.  We went out to Central on Denman, which I always forget is actually a pretty great place.  Not to mention, they were playing awesome music: MIA, old Erykah Badu, and local boys, DNA6 (whose cd I bought when I saw them play the Capers fair last year, and it's become one of my favorites, and turns out that they're friends of my boss, small world).  Great evening catching up.

Yesterday, a friend was nice enough to take me to get blood tests (which I'd been procrastinating on) at lunchtime, and did a great job of distracting me and making sure I didn't pass out.  Afterwards, we stopped in at Momentum Grooming on Burrard, which is a really cool barber shop and mens shaving, soaps, etc. store, where the extremely helpful co-owner, Robert schooled us on safety razors (full post to come on SpendLocally.ca whenever I get it functional again, I'll let ya know).  Even though it's a mens shop, they have some pretty great stuff there, and I picked up some really nice soap and some Italian ginger-mint toothpaste.

The afternoon was great, I was feeling healthier than I had in a couple weeks and the sun was shining, so I took my bike out for a big 3 block ride to pick up a few things at the Capers.  Came home and was tidying up, then went to take the garbage out.  When I came back in, the elevator was dead (I suspect because some guys moving stuff overloaded the weight restriction).  Got to climb back up to my apartment, fun!  First 6 floors not so bad, after that, I was struggling.  Should probably do this on a more regular basis.  But considering I'm coming off of round 7 of bronchitis/antibiotic fun in 8 months, not too shabby, and my legs aren't even sore today.

By dinner time, I was starving and decided to try this (supposedly) gluten-free, dairy-free frozen chicken pot pie that I bought a couple weeks ago at Wholefoods.  I was pretty excited about it, especially cause it's from a company in North Van that makes lots of other stuff.  And wouldn't you know, it tasted like the real thing (of course with the slight grit of gf flour).  But after finishing dinner I started to feel off...  which led to a full on night and then morning of allergic reaction to what I can only assume was dairy.  It has been so long since I have eaten something I was really allergic to (something that happened frequently until I figured out what I'm allergic to) that I had forgotten how truly horrible it is.  IT IS TRULY HORRIBLE.

Needless to say, I didn't make it out to a friend's housewarming I was hoping to go to last night.  Had an allergy hangover most of the day today, but got out and got a couple errands done in my haze.  Took a big nap this afternoon, then cooked some lovely organic pork tenderloin and mushrooms for dinner.  At least I got a kick in the pants to start cooking real food again!

And just like that, the weekend is over.  Hoping for a much less eventful week this week, I could use a little less excitement for a change!