Spoonies watching shows in real time together!
The topic of "hanging out" virtually with spoonie friends has come up over and over again, since a lot of us are home resting a ton and find it difficult to socialize in person or get out of the house. Not to mention that most of our best spoonie friends are strewn all over the place. After talking about the idea of co-watching movies and TV shows again today, I decided to try and make it a reality.
I don't have the spoons (especially hand spoons) to do a lot of hands-on managing of this, but once it's up and running, you will be able to self-organize, yay! I've already set up all the services to run this little spoonie socializing experiment, and now all it needs is for you to join in. Here's how it goes:
- What: You pick a movie/show to watch. (It's up to every person to figure out what specific service they watch things on.)
- When: You pick the time you'll start it and enter the show and time (with your time zone!) as an event in the Spoonie Connection Facebook Group.
- Where: We have a Spoonie Connection Slack Chat for real time chat! This is optional if you want to be able to real time hang out and discuss. If there isn't a channel already set up for the show you're watching, you can add one. (One channel per show please, at least unless we get big enough to warrant more than that.)
- Hashtag + Share: Post on social media if you want your friends to watch something with you so they don't miss it, and use the hashtag #spoonieconnection so we can find each other! If you want someone new to join in on the fun, tell them to go to www.spoonieconnection.com and it'll redirect them to this page so they can get all set up!
Now, if you already use Facebook and Slack, this will be super easy. If not, then you'll need to get them set up if you want to be able to add events to the group, and chat with others while watching. Facebook is self explanatory, but here's some info for setting up Slack:
How to get set up on Slack
Slack is a free chat can be used either in your browser or using a desktop or mobile app (also called Slack). Once it's set up, it's really easy to use! Here's how to get set up and get into our chat:
- If you want to use Slack app (instead of just viewing it in your browser), find it in the app store and install it.
- Send me (or another existing member) your email address - this is a semi-private group, so you'll need to find a way to reach one of us, i.e. we should vaguely know each other already. If I don't know you at all, you'll need a mutual friend or existing member to vouch for you!
- I (or the existing member you ask) will send you an invitation to our Slack chat, and you'll get an email with a link to click to join it.
- Once joined, you can find it again anytime through the app or at the URL: https://spoonieconnection.slack.com